Big Sur Photography Workshop
Our Big Sur Photography Workshop helps you create stunning images by showing you the secret corners of Big Sur. We make sure you are shooting in the right place, at the right time, in the best light.
Big Sur brings nothing but smiles to our photography workshop clients. This rugged coastline and its open spaces are astounding. Its leading-edge cliffs plunge deep into the blue Pacific. Rocky sea stacks and waterscapes abound. Incredible skies and thin misty fog roll over this coastal mountain range.
This photography workshop is for all photographic enthusiasts who love the outdoors and getting those great shots.
Our team of two highly experienced professional landscape photographers will show you the expansive and accessible coastal lands of the amazing Big Sur Coast and teach you how to envision and create memorable images from this workshop.
You’ll learn how to get that amazing landscape image from the perfect locations when the light is optimal! There’s nothing like that feeling of knowing you’ve created that trophy image!
Big Sur Photography Workshop
Capture the Amazing Beauty of Big Sur
Monday, January 11 – Wednesday, January 13, 2021
ONLY 3 Spots Left!
Monday Afternoon Sunset Shot and Meet and Greet
We will meet to shoot two iconic overlooks of the Big Sur Coast. After the shoot, we will meet to talk about the focus for the workshop.
Do you want to focus on telling the story of the trip, do you want to shoot black and white, do you want to work with shadows or learn to layer your images? We will help you to decide where you want to go with your creativity in this workshop.
7 am (Tuesday) – We will continue our photographic exploration of the Big Sur Coast, chasing the light as the sun rises up the coast and capture a spectacular morning vista of a unique lighthouse. After the sun rises, we will then travel to several coastal overlooks for some amazing shots of water clashing with sea stacks
We will break late morning and you will be able to return to your accommodations in the Big Sur area.
After our break, we will regroup in the town of Big Sur and caravan to another beach location for an amazing sunset with sea stacks and a coastal waterfall. We will review techniques in exposure adjustments to capture the setting sun on the shoreline as the waves crash over the rocks.
After our sunset shoot, we will gather for dinner for image review to show your best work from the last few days. Recommendations for composition, exposure, and use of software editing programs will be discussed.
7:00 am – Wednesday
We will meet in the lobby at your hotel and caravan to several more spectacular coastal views to take advantage of the morning light.
We will be shooting in an amazing redwood forest during this workshop to capture long exposure photography by the stream coming off the mountains.
We finish off the day and wrap up the workshop with a spectacular sunset location.
Accommodations are extremely limited in Big Sur any time of year. Signing up early and securing your lodging, is essential to attend.
We will give you a list of preferred lodging locations once you sign up for this workshop.
When full, the maximum participants for this workshop is 4 people. We prefer small intimate workshops with personal attention to every attendee. Small group size ensures that every participant has ample opportunity to ask questions and discuss the exciting world of landscape photography with fellow photo enthusiasts.
Transportation and Lodging
You are responsible to arrive for the workshop orientation in Big Sur, CA. We will caravan our cars along the coast during the workshop. Routes may be altered due to road conditions and weather along the Big Sur Coast.
Our groups enjoy eating most meals together, but you are free to dine where you wish. During the workshop, either bring or purchase food for your midday meal and arrange breakfast before leaving your hotel. Many mornings we will be leaving before most restaurants are open. Please bring snacks and lunch food for the workshop. There are small markets in Big Sur to stock up before or after the orientation meeting.
The Big Sur Photography workshop can also be privately optioned.
Contact: Mark Jansen for more details
Topics Covered in the Big Sur
• Storytelling in photography
• Waiting for the right moment to shoot
• Aperture, shutter speed, and ISO
• How to get the most creative exposure
• Discussions on getting the correct exposure
• How to fine-tune exposure and use of histograms
• Depth of field
• White balance settings for changing environments
• Learning how to create dynamic compositions
• Composition balance and flow
Suggested Camera Gear List
• Digital SLR or Mirrorless Camera
• Wide-angle and Telephoto lenses are essential and whatever lenses you like (16mm-200mm recommended)
• Memory cards. (Enough to meet your shooting demands)
• A Hot shoe bubble level. (unless your camera has this option built-in)
• A Neutral Density Filter, to fit your widest lens. (3 stop, ND8 or Variable)
• A Polarizer filter.
• At least 3 fully charged batteries.
• A Shutter cable release, if you don’t use live view.
• A good sturdy tripod that you can lower to the ground if necessary.( Adjustable Ball head preferred)
• A small headlamp with fresh batteries
• A small collapsible cheap umbrella (Winter)
• A couple of small and large Zip-Loc bags
• A compact digital camera (Just for back-up)
Included in Big Sur Photography workshop
• Quality One on one photographic instruction geared to your level of expertise
• Minimum 6 hours per day of in-field shooting experience and instruction
• Interactive learning environment with two experienced instructors
• Photoshop and Lightroom sessions if time allows
• Portfolio Review – Bring your 5 best shots
Does not include lodging, food or transportation.
Can’t make this scheduled workshop?
Contact us for a private or special group rate tour.
Lodging Details: Accommodations are historically limited on the Big Sur coast. Securing last-minute lodging in the proper locations for this event becomes less likely each day. If you’re on the fence and haven’t decided, please be aware of this!
NOTE: Please contact us for a list of available lodging options for this workshop!
Jansen Photo Expeditions is a fully certified CPR AED safety outfitter.
Jansen Photo Expeditions is fully permitted by the National Park Service and insured to conduct photography workshops
We hope you can join us!